Saturday 9 March 2013

Doing the Headington Charity Shop Shuffle on a Rainy Saturday



The weather has been quite miserable for days, overcast and dominated by a misty insistently rainy atmosphere – not enough to use an umbrella but plenty to get wet.  I assume this sort of weather is appreciated by mosses, lichens, and other creeping fungi, but yours truly prefers a bit of sunshine!  Just to make my cup runneth over, the weatherpeople predict snow for tomorrow.  And as usual, the frogs, who never listen to the news, have arrived in the pond, ready for spawning.  It never fails; a cool period in spring is followed by a few milder days, and the feckless amphibians pile into my garden pond with amorous intentions.  Then, as soon as they have laid their eggs, the weather turns cold and half the eggs freeze.  I used to run out and rescue a few clumps of frogspawn and keep them in a glass bowl in the Mouserleum (lean-to conservatory), but I got fed up with their fecklessness and now they are on their own.


Days like these make me feel vaguely depressed, so I decided to cheer myself up by visiting Headington, the Oxford suburb just up the hill from where I live.  It boasts an impressibe number of charity/thrift shops, and thus constitutes a massive attraction for a thriftshop queen like myself.  Besides, I needed to buy some moth killer strips – I killed two of the little monsters yesterday, and that always means WAR!!!!!



To this end I wended my way to the Headington Homeware Shop of the Ford family.  They have run the shop since 1964, it is the sort of shop featured in old fashioned children’s books, and whenever I need anything in their line of business I go there first – I’d hate for them to go under.  The shop is located in Windmill Road, quite central, and has anything from paint to baskets to cooking implements to garden bulbs to, you guessed it, moth-terminating supplies.



‘Thou shalt not suffer a clothes moth to live’ is the foremost principle of housekeeping in the Home of DB, and every four months or so I purchase paper strips impregnated with moth poison to hang in my wardrobes, and sticky-sided pheromone traps to distribute around the house.  More than ten years ago I had an infestation, courtesy of Liberty and it has taken all these years of dilligent murder to reduce their numbers to negligible.  But the little monsters are incredibly fecund – relax your vigilance for just one season, and you are back to square one.  Not for nothing are there entire chapters in old house-keeping books on ‘The Moth Menace!’

Anyway, I buy what I need, get permission to shoot a few pictures, and move on to the main purpose of my visit:  “The Headington Charity Shop Shuffle!”  It basically consists of going from one charity/thrift/second hand shop to the next searching for high quality, yet dirt-cheap, items of apparel.  This is one of my all time favourate past times, ever since my friend Marybeth inducted me into its secrets back in Portland, Oregon.  After decades of Doing the Shuffle I have a wardrobe full of wonderful cheaply bought clothes. 

Way too many, actually, I frequently feel the need to declutter things a bit.  Which is wasteful and futile and very very stupid, and really I should stop.  The thing is, I am a Hunter & Gatherer at heart, and in winter, when I can’t pick flowers or blackberries, I feel the need to funnel my gathering instincts into other channels, and shopping in charity shops is perfect.  For those of you who don’t indulge in this particular past time, let me explain.

A charity/thrift shop is a shop that gets all its merchandise for free from people who donate them – when you pass these shops early in the morning you quite often find bags of things propped up against the shop’s door, left there by donors on their way to work (I do this myself quite a lot).  The people who work in these shops are volunteers who work for free.  All the goods they sell are fairly cheap, which is great for poor students and frustrated Hunter Gatherers like me.  And all the profits go to a good cause.  So whatever money I spend in these shops, I always have the excuse that I am helping a good cause.  And when I am tired of the things I have bought, I put them in a bag and give them back to the shop – who sell them again.

Because these shops are so cheap, it is actually not a bad way of spending one’s time.  It is cheaper than most other entertainments, like going to the movies or to London to visit a museum.  Also, the clothes they sell are a lot more varied than the ones one can buy in the shops.  If someone’s grandmother dies, all the old lady's clothes are given to a charity shop.  If her daughter decides, after years of trying to lose weight, that she will never fit into that gorgeous dress she bought five years ago in the hope of slimming down into it, she sends it to the same shop.  And her daughter, who refuses to wear anything for longer than a season, routinely sends her entire wardrobe to the shop as well.  As a result the shop can sell clothes from the last thirty or forty years!  If I want a pencil skirt, or anything high waisted, I don’t even try buying it in a regular shop, because they are currently unfashionable – but the charity shops usually yield up one or two.

These shops are also good when one wants to try out another style or colour.  Buying a new item just for an experiment is prohibitively expensive, but for a few pounds one can usually get something useful in a charity shop to try out.  This week’s haul consisted of one long woolen red cardigan (made in Germany about fifty years ago, I think), one red silk & linen pencil skirt (brand new Hobbs), and one mad green scarf – I probably will not wear it often, but could not resist those greens!  All for £12.  Not bad, eh?





PS  It is called the ‘Shuffle’ because one has to shuffle/rummage through an awful lot of clothes to find the ones one wants – that’s the fun of it!