Sunday 17 March 2013

As soon as I do a bit of gardening, it snows again!

The fountain in the pond this morning

Yesterday I did a bit of gardening.  It seemed high time; the frogs were getting restless and the birds kept visiting the garden to stake out claims for the best nesting sites.  Once they arrive I am not allowed in the garden any more, they are extremely possessive.

The thing in the middle is the Clippings Pile

As you may remember, last autumn I went crazy with a chain saw (OK, hedge trimmer) and cut back everything vegetablian that cast shade over my little plot.  There was quite a lot of it, and after I had filled the compost heap to overflowing there were still a lot of prunings left.  So I assembled them all into a pyramid shape in the back garden, behind the pond, where the Wild Things live.  I fully intended to do something with the heap, but somehow what with one thing and another nothing got done. 
 
 
And now it is gone ...

Then yesterday I had a quick look at the garden and saw a few little ramsons trying manfully to struggle through the litter I had piled on top of them, and decided it really was time I did something.

.....and Molly is back!

First I pulled out all the large branches and put them aside, then I scooped up the leaf-litter and smaller branches and cast them upon the now somewhat lower compost heap (it had spent the winter digesting the previous autumn’s offerings).  I also carefully separated out the rose branches – they have large nasty thorns and I put them out for the Men From The Council to collect.  I am afraid to put them in the compost heap, because I suspect even when they have rotted down their thorns will survive to inflict horrible wounds when I spread the compost all over the garden.  Perhaps I should stop making compost; my garden is already a foot higher than those of my neighbours on both sides!

A few little primroses struggling in the leaf-litter .....

The whole task took two hours, and when I finished it started to rain.  Great, I thought, just what the trampled down little ramsons need!  A bit of water and sunshine and they will grow rampant.

Ah well.  I had hardly left the garden when the cats arrived.  Most of my neighbours have paving or decking or other devices designed to keep cats from powdering their noses in their gardens, so all the neighbourhood’s cats used to come to mine for that purpose.  The clippings pile in the area behind the pond had discouraged them, but now that it is gone they all moved back in.

Witchhazel in blooms!!!!

And if that wasn’t enough, today it snows!  Big flakes!  And it is cold!  How are those little ramsons ever going to grow and flourish and produce the delicious leaves I plan to pick and eat in May?  Between the cat urine and the frost they haven’t got a chance, you might think.  But ramsons are extremely tough, so who knows …