Friday 15 June 2012

How to learn French the hard way – By knitting waistcoats!


Over my three years of not learning French I have acquired all sorts of useful wisdom, which I am going to decant into my blog for the benefit of the masses.  I analysed my failures and came to the conclusion that there is one main reason why I did not learn much:  Because learning languages is boring!  Any of the methods I tried would have resulted in my learning French if only I had stuck with it.  And why did I abandon all these methods?  Because they required endless repetition to etch new grooves into my ossified brain, and I got bored after the sixth or tenth repetition.

People believe that children can learn more quickly because their brains are younger and more malleable, but I believe the real reason is that they are small and powerless and can be forced into doing as they are told.  If things get boring in school a child can’t just get up and make a cup of tea and switch off the teacher.  Children are stuck in school day after day in the most incredibly boring lessons, without getting paid.  After struggling for a few years even the most rebellious tend to throw in the towel and start to listen to the teacher occasionally and even do their homework.  As a result they eventually absorb enough information to scrape by.  Those who don’t come a cropper in all sorts of ways, but you get my drift.

That’s how I learned English, sort of.  Not real English, you understand.  Just the usual basic horrible being able to get by sort that gets you a D and is irritating beyond belief to all native speakers.  But it provided a basis on which I could build when I went to America and actually needed to speak properly because I went to university.  I still remember the shock when I opened my first textbook:  I only knew about half the words in it, and the words I did not know where the important ones!  But well, I knuckled down and dictionaried and at the end of the term three months later I knew 90% of the words in that book!

The way to learn a language properly is by immersion and exposure after one has absorbed the basics.  I learned English by reading and listening on a grand scale, and that’s how I planned to learn French.  But for English I had the basics from my school days, while for French I had nothing.  And since I am now strong and powerful, no one can force me – for my own good – to spend endless hours in boring pursuits (except at work, but I get paid for that).

So what’s a body to do?

This is where the waistcoats come in.  The principle is similar to that of counting sheep to go to sleep.  The idea is to quiet that part of the brain that gets bored easily and wants to do something new and exciting.  By counting sheep the excitable brain gets distracted, and while it is busy counting, another part of the brain takes over and dozes off.  By the time the excitable brain part notices what is going on the body is asleep, and so the excitable bit seeks refuge in vivid dreams.

Anyway, imagine listening to the same CD by Michel Thomas a dozen times.  The man is a good teacher, but can be very patronising and authoritarian, and I hate that.  So not only am I bored because I have listened to him a dozen times already, but I am angry at his tone as well.  So I switch off and play solitaire instead.

However, now envisage the same scene with the addition of knitting a waistcoat.  Whenever I get irritated or bored I focus my attention on the knitting until I calm down.  The regular click click of the needles also has a soothing effect, of course.  Once I calm down I listen to the CD again.  The knitting keeps the excitable part of my brain engaged, so it can’t complain too much about having to listen to the same CD over and over again.  It has to be a simple pattern, because something complicated like a sock would be too distracting.  The idea is to do something simple, just enough to engage the excitable bit of the brain so it doesn’t run off to do something more interesting, without being so distracting that I stop learning the new language.

Of course this does not have to be knitting.  You could try whittling or painting your toenails or riding your exercycle.  The important part is that whatever you do will not engage you so much that you cease to pay attention to learning French.

I have knitted about a dozen waistcoats in the last year, and slowly my labours are paying off.  Of course the good people of La Bourboule will be the final judges of my progress, but I have managed to absorb a modicum of grammar recently, and my vocabulary has become extensive, if patchy.  I now know what ‘colocataire’ means – roommate – how cool is that?  And when someone claims to be ‘mi-homme mi-pizza’ I know that he is half man half pizza – I have been watching the movie Spaceballs in French for quite a few times now.

I am making progress, at long last.  What I am going to do with all those wretched waistcoats is anybody's guess.