Monday 4 June 2012

Confessions of a Glider Groupie – my Glider Collection

Part 5 – Scheibe Zugvogel III – Not quite a Tiny Visitor



Given the size of my The Little House, I have to limit my personal possessions and furniture somewhat.  Despite my dictum ‘My House maybe small but my Dreams are Big!’ I have to admit that one can’t put a gallon into a pint jar (though Heaven knows I tried), and therefore, painful as it is to me, most of my gliders are small, if not to say, tiny. 

In the previous posts about my glider collection I covered its large members, not because they are my favourites but because they are easiest to photograph!  Taking pictures of small objects with my little camera, especially in dark conditions, frequently results in blurry photos, giving the impression that they depict not so much little gliders as visitors from Fairyland.  This is unfortunate, because the story of the Tiny Visitors, which I shall recount in due course, is unbelievable enough, and I have no desire to further undermine my credibility by accompanying it with fuzzy photos.


However, today’s post is not about the Tiny Visitors, but about Zachary the Zugvogel.  He is even tinier than the Tiny Visitors, in fact 1:250, while the Tiny Visitors are 1:200.  Another difference is that Zachary came in a box from EBay, whereas the Tiny Visitors arrived of their own accord.  Lastly, Zachary is a child of the late 1950s, whereas the Tiny Visitors were all hatched before WWII.  Well, perhaps they were hatched.  I used to think they were manufactured by glidermasters just like the big gliders, but recently I saw one emerge from a Kinder-egg so I am not sure any more.

Anyway, since Zachary is so much younger than my other gliders, and has very little real life experience, having lived in his box most of his life, the other gliders have taken him under their collective wings and try to instil some sense into his frivolous soul, so far to little effect.  Most of the time he just hides in the Clock-Tower, it being dark and safe, rather like his box, which I have taken away to stop him from hiding all the time.  But when he does get out he tends to make a nuisance of himself and likes to irritate the other gliders, as well as Goncalo Alves, the wooden cat.  I tried to get him to fly in my mobile with the Tiny Visitors, but he upset their harmonious balance by slipping out of harness without telling them, so I had to give up on that idea.  I should note that the Tiny Visitors also leave their harnesses, but they do so in concert to ensure that the balance is never disturbed – oh well, you can’t expect wise cockpits on baby gliders, I guess.  One of the Reiher Quartet tends to keep him company on the Clock-Tower and makes sure he stays out of trouble.



In 1951 Egon Scheibe founded the Scheibe-Flugzeugbau company.  The Zugvogel was their first high performance glider, and won first prize in 1955 in the German National Gliding Championships, flown by Hanna Reitsch.  The design continued to be improved, and in 1957 the Zugvogel III was launched.  My little Zachary is a tiny scale model of this Scheibe Zugvogel III, on the scale of 1 to 250.

The original has a wingspan of 17 meters, and although it would no doubt look impressive stuck into the belfry of the church around the corner, my little finger tells me that neither priest nor congregation would welcome such an addition.  So it is lucky, really, that I spotted little Zachary on Austrian EBay a few years ago.  At night before I go to sleep, when I watch my little glider collection without wearing my glasses, and everything is a bit blurry, it seems almost credible that Zachary is a real glider hiding in a real clock-tower.


That said, I have to admit that I much prefer my illusion to the reality of life size gliders.  Although I do not consider my life worth more than that of any other person, I nevertheless feel much attached to it, and risking it by flying in a real life glider is not something I would do without need.

Next time I will introduce the Tiny Visitors, starting with the Red Reiher Quartet!