Thursday 8 March 2012

The Return of the Green Mamba


Some time ago The Third Triplet came into possession of three green mambas.  They were incredibly inquisitive, and kept cropping up where they did not belong, like other people’s letterboxes.  One of them made its way into The Little House, and I had my hands full trying to control it.  I rather suspect it had its eyes on the frogs inhabiting my pond!  After several months of fruitlessly trying to keep it out of mischief, I smuggled it through Customs and into the Palatial Abode of the Esteemed Ancestor.  There it was joined by its fellow triplets in due course and remains to this day.  Last I saw them they all resided on top of an old clock, companionably intertwined, and I thought I had escaped the Green Mamba threat well enough.

Until today.  I return to The Little House, fatigued and hungry after a hard day’s work, and what do I find but a soft envelope stuck into my letterbox.  Why Bless My Soul, I intoned, some kind Friend & Relation has decided to send me a small present!  I felt it appreciatively, and noticed that it was rather soft and yielding – like a silk scarf!  It was from The Third Triplet.  Well really you shouldn’t have, I thought, How very thoughtful and kind!  A new scarf is just what one needs when coming home from work.


Upon opening the envelope I was, alas, sadly disillusioned!  Instead of a silken square a Green Mamba emerged from the torn paper!  And as you can see from the attached photos, it lost no time getting into trouble.  It is still a little shy, and confused from the long travel in the envelope, which is why, I assume, it headed straight for various green environments to hide in.


 
First it slid into my house slipper whence I ejected it because I wanted to wear it.  Then it snuggled into an almost finished waistcoat – I turfed it out because I want to work on it tonight.  Then it curled up in an armchair, where I left it, glad to be rid of it for the time being.  But when I went upstairs it got lonely and followed me into my Nostalgia Studio.  It nosed around for a while, and finally settled in one of the clivias.


Thanks a lot, fellow Triplet!  I wonder whether The First Triplet got one, too?  Not sure we can dump them again on the Esteemed Ancestor, his Palatial Abode is too cluttered as it is.