Saturday 1 June 2013

Taking Archibald to a Garden Party



This afternoon I went to a Garden Party!  The weather was perfect for it, dry and sunny with a light breeze, enough to keep everyone cool but not enough to blow away the ladies’ hats. Well, truth be told, there were only five hats at the party, and three belonged to gentlemen …

Anyway, this morning I jumped out of bed in a good mood and decided to wear my green blazer to the party.  It has some unhappy memories for me, so I thought a garden party would be the perfect occasion to override them with good ones.  On the way there I strolled through the Covered Market, and dropped by the Hatbox, a very alluring little shop that sells, you guessed it, boiled sweets.  Just kidding.  I found a very fetching summer hat, in an orangey red sort of colour, which goes very well with the green blazer.



Pleased with myself I checked out my new hat – I was wearing it, obviously! – in every shop window I passed.  But somehow I was not quite satisfied, a little something was missing.  A papier-mâché flower, perhaps?  I headed for another little specialty store, where I found, not a flower, but a darling little green bird (probably made of papier-mâché) in a colour very similar to the blazer.  I attached it to the headband of my new hat, called the bird Archibald, and sauntered off to the party.

The resulting outfit, and particularly Archibald, was much admired by all.  Green blazer, orange hat, green bird, orange scarf – it all worked very well together.  Unfortunately I had forgotten my camera, yet again, so you have to make do with photos of Anke wearing my ensemble.
 
 

Today my French version of Once Upon a Time arrived, so I shall spend the evening watching it while knitting another waistcoat.  And tomorrow I am off to the Strawberry Fields to pick enough strawberries to either make enough jam for the rest of the year or to make myself sick by eating them all.  It is anyone’s guess what will happen.  But I bought some fresh cream, just in case ….