Sunday 16 June 2013

Green Grows the City – Flowers & Foliage in Unexpected Places



I am always pleased to find signs of Nature in unexpected places, and during my recent stay in Paris discovered two such ones.  Firstly, a private garden with huge trees and lots of shrubs and flowers right downtown.  It was overcast, so the photos aren’t as nice as one would hope, but you get the idea.  In the middle of the garden is a wide long slope, and at the bottom of the slope is an indoor swimming pool.  It is hardly noticeable from the terrace where we had coffee and cake, and one has to go to the back of the garden and turn around to see it.  Someone was sunbathing there, so I desisted from taking a picture.  Also I didn’t have much time.
 


 

Later that day I meandered over to a church nearby called Magdalenae (la Madeleine in vernacular) which is very temple-like and impressive and glorious.  What interested me most, however, is the fact that the steps leading up to it are covered with plastic troughs chock full of flowers!  I possess some of those containers, which I used to extend my garden and planted full of flowers, to provide some nectar for the bees.  Alas my garden is too dark, and the flowers all died, so the bees have to look elsewhere for support.  But the Madeleine is in full sunshine, and the flowers looked splendid!














I powdered my nose in yet another luxurious bathroom, one which has mirrors on all sides, and couldn’t resist taking another picture of myself.  It almost looks like I finally succeeded in my long-held ambition of having myself cloned 50 times so I can take over the world!