Sunday 10 June 2012

How not to learn French - Lessons 7 to 10

How not to learn French - Lesson 7 – Reading a French Grammar

When I desperately want to learn something, I read a book.  Sometimes it gets a little ridiculous – I once read a book about ballroom dancing and expected to be able to dance afterwards (it did not work).  Then there was the mathematics book I copied from front to back in the vain hope of absorbing enough maths to get me through high school – I learned nothing, but my teacher was so moved by my efforts that he gave me a D and I managed to scrape through. 

Given this troubled history, it will surprise no one to hear that I read an entire French Grammar front to back, hoping – vainly, as usual – to learn French grammar that way.  The book sported ‘Dummies’ somewhere in its title, so I figured it would work.  But it did not.  Instead of admitting defeat I decided that I obviously was not dumb enough to learn anything from this grammar, and read another one, an Introduction to French Grammar.  This book was even thicker and quickly got very complicated.  While I managed to understand what they were on about, I did not manage to remember anything!  Then I reflected that it was a silly idea anyway, because if I had to remember and apply 500 pages worth of grammar every time I spoke French I would find myself very quickly without an audience.

I well remember a man I once knew, who tried to engage me in German conversations.  One could positively hear how his brain was working to create a perfect sentence, and although every sentence he enunciated was indeed perfect, I usually ran out of patience before he had managed to make his point.

So I decided to give up the French Grammars as a dead loss, and tried yet another approach.


How not to learn French - Lesson 8 – Buying appliances with French instruction manuals

I happened on this approach after I had bought a radio in La Bourboule.  It was one of those complicated digital affairs, which requires various sophisticated operations to set the alarm, find a radio station, switch an internal light on and off, predict the weather, set the volume, and heaven knows what else.  Since I am used to radios that just turn on and off, permanently tuned to Radio 4, this presented me with a serious challenge.

Having tried for an hour or so to get the thing going by sole use of my innate wit, I turned my attention to the instruction manual, which was in French, Spanish, and Japanese, which all elude me.  What’s a person to do?  I decided to knuckle down and learn French by deciphering the manual.

Although I managed to learn enough to operate the radio, I cannot wholeheartedly recommend this method, partly because the words thus obtained have little application in everyday life – well, my everyday life, but principally because the grammar is atrocious.  Apparently these manuals are usually translated by the pre-teenage children of the production manager of the factory where these electronic devices are produced, and while I have the highest regard for their linguistic precocity I must regretfully conclude that it does not yet suffice for the task on hand.

Lest you think that I malign them – after all I did manage to get the radio working – I should add that I finally discovered a German and English version on the back of the manual, and although these version were pretty pitiful as well, between the two of them I managed to glean what information I needed.  That’s why I know about the awfulness of the grammar, by the way; I was in no position to judge the French version.

It is rather unfortunate that I cannot recommend this method, because there are so many instruction manuals blighting everyone’s life.  Justifying their existence by utilising them for linguistic purposes would really take the sting out of their loathsomeness, but alas I cannot in good conscience advise this course of action.

Sighing deeply, I turned to the most pleasurable approach to date.


How not to learn French - Lesson 9 – Spending time in Paris

Finally, I hear you say, a sensible approach to learning the French language.  I should have done that in the first place.  Go somewhere crawling with natives eager to teach me their language, and fluency will surely follow soonishly.

Hah!

Double Ha!

Cubed and to the power of n (I learned some math, you know!) Hah!

Paris is full of natives who want to practice English!  Trying to learn French from them is like drawing teeth or wading through treacle, ie theoretically possible but too exhausting in practice.  As soon as people hear you are fluent in English they look at you hungrily and say something in English.  When they hear that I live in Oxford they get really excited, because when they learned English in school they used the Oxford English Dictionary, and now they consider Oxford to be the source and guardian of all that is excellent in the English language.  When I was once stupid enough to confess that I used to work for the OUP and helped compile the dictionary their enthusiasm knew no bounds, and they quickly concluded that I was a rare gem whose perfect English must not be endangered by learning French.  For the rest of that day, whenever I tried to utter something in French they listened politely for a minute or two before guiding me firmly back to the language of Albion.

No, trying to learn French in Paris is like selling coals in Newcastle.  Don’t even try!

 


How not to learn French - Lesson 10 – Reading French Books

This was my last abortive attempt to learn French.  Remembering how I had learned English all those years ago, I bought a few French books which I had read so often in English that I practically know them by heart, and settled down.  The idea was that I would not have to look up unknown words all the time because, knowing the English version, I would already know what every words meant.

Well, it did not work that way.  Although I read entire books, I learned very few words, because, although the two languages are very similar, they are not translated words by word, and anyway my memory is so truly sievelike that I forgot every word almost as soon as I learned it.


How not to learn French - Conclusion


I had comprehensively failed to learn French, despite having used every method I could think of.  Incidentally, I have not described every attempt I made to learn French in this little series.  There were also language CDs (three different types), newspapers, the language lab of the university, reading the jokes in carambar wrappers, etc etc.  Nothing worked.  I had failed.

Now, I am nothing if not persistent.  To me NO! is simply a shy person’s way of saying yes, and a defeat is just a signal to try a different approach.  But I had tried every approach!  What could I do?

Stay tune for my new series, Learn French The Hard Way With DB!   I shall kick off soon with my first sure-fire way to learn French by knitting waistcoats.


Au revoir & bonne journee!