Monday 31 August 2020

Journal of the Plague Year 18 - The Fence Repair

A well stocked work shop stands at the beginning of every successful DIY project!

Hi and Hello, and all that sort of thing!

No posts for three months, I can't believe it.  Well, I have been busy.  And since I also had to recover from various viral diseases and their debilitating side effects, blogging was low on the agenda.  I continue to do stuff - I just don't have the energy to write about it afterwards.

Anyway, I have just had a week off work, because I had to fix the fence.  Well, rebuild a large section of it.  Not as nice as spending the holiday in La Bourboule, but equally necessary.

In my experience, it is easier to completely rip something out and then rebuild it, than to repair what is there.  Of course, I did the latter.

As mentioned in the last post, I had spent a considerable amount of time and energy cutting down the hedge.  That had to be done, so I could repair the fence that was pretty much obstructed by the hedge.  After I had finished with the hedge I was so exhausted that I did diddly-squat for two months.

Then I pulled myself together and inspected the fence situation.  Almost a month was spent in preparation and planning. Finally ten days ago I had accumulated all the necessary materials needed, figured out the workings of my electric saw, and discussed the interruptions and irritations my project would cause with the neighbour.  She was extremely helpful, no doubt worried that I would abandon my project if she discouraged me.  All the fences in the neighbourhood are falling down, various storms and the endlessly gnawing tooth of time have rendered them all ineffective, and having at least one portion of local fencery restored was an alluring prospect.

She did ask whether I had done that sort of thing before?  Funnily quite a few people asked me that question, including my good friend from Cleveland, who wondered whether "an office girl" like myself was capable of handling a saw.

The fact is, I had never used an electric saw before I started this project, and I never repaired a fence, either.  But I figured, millions of XY chromosome type people can do this, so why shouldn't I?  Besides, my grandfather was a master carpenter, and though I can't recall that he ever taught me anything (he was old and I was a girl) I nevertheless think that I should be able to do at least basic carpentry, by virtue of genetic drift and cellular memory.

And I was proved right, because I was massively successful and am now proud as Lucifer!  I have already received offers from neighbours to repair their fences, but I am too exhausted, and anyway have other projects to attend to.

Another rip roaring success for the DB Tribe!

The old fence before I took it down - basically a collection of random planks, held together by habit and the neighbour's creeping vine.
 

I had bought all sorts of planks and beams and stored them in the garden

The main post, which had a rotten bottom.  I had to cut off the top and bottom, and re-cut all the notches for the railing of the fence on either side.  This was extremely tricky! But I managed, with the help of making lots of little cuts with my saw, and using my chisel to chip them away.

The old fence planks are leaning against the compost heap - I will have to fit them into the operations somehow.  Aside from rotten tops and bottoms they are in a good condition, so maybe I can build a wood shelter or something similar.

Busy beam-notching - sometimes a helping hand from a friend would have been useful, but I remembered the one at the end of my own arm and used that one, instead.


The neighbour's water drain pipe, and water butt, had been illegally attached to my decrepit fence, and had to be detached/moved.  The neighbour hasn't re-attached it yet, I shall have to offer my services next weekend, when I tackle my next garden project.


The skeleton structure was created first.  Basically, a beam at the bottom, two half beams across, and one on top.  The top one is solely for the neighbour's cat, so she can walk across the fence.


I cut two planks short at the bottom and reinforced the hole, to function as a cat entrance.

For the last three planks, I decided to afix them together to form one big piece, and fashion them so that they can be removed, to function as an emergency door. 


The fence door can't really be seen from the other side, from my side you just see the extra little railings.  Note the cat ladder on the right hand side?  The idea is, the cat walks up the ladder, across the plank on top of the fence, and then jumps onto the conservatory.  A further jump will get her to the bedroom window of my neighbour.  Unfortunately the cat is ornery, and never does what she is supposed to do, so I am not sure she will do as I suggest!

Close up view of the cat-gap - too small for me, alas!


One of the leaning fences in the neighbourhood

and another one ....

Well, I am sure you will agree that my new fence section is beautiful and sturdy and bound to outlast those other, lesser, fences in the area!