Saturday 12 January 2019

60th Birthday - Why I Love My Colleagues!

DB at 60 - who would have thought I'd last that long!

My decorated desk - please note that the boxes to the right are not full of my effects!!!  And the huge bin is not intended to be filled with my accumulated rubbish prior to my  leaving my job.  I am staying right where I am!!!

The best thing about work is colleagues - my kind  of colleagues, obviously!  Lord knows I have had some bad ones in my time, but now, in the twilight of my years, I have really hit pay-dirt.  They are, one and all, wonderful, dependable, funny, intelligent, and hard working - and best of all, they always have my back (with that one exception, obviously).

So a few days ago, when I arrived at work, all innocent and unsuspecting, I was confronted with a fabulously decorated birthday-desk, and numerous be-smiled colleagues, all full of good birthday wishes and congratulations.

In addition to decorating my desk, they had purchased a box full of desirable presents, and took me to lunch later that day.  There was also cake.

I was deeply moved, but managed to cover this up by insulting them all, both individually and collectively.  As a final birthday indulgence, they all accepted the invective.

Like the Queen, I have two birthday dates.  The one that we celebrated in the office, and the official one which will be celebrated with the Triplets in three weeks' time. We will do the St Pancras Tour, and photos shall be shared!

Aside from enjoying being made much of, no particular benefits accrued to me upon reaching 60.  Extensive googling revealed that I am entitled to local free bus fares (since I have a commuting season ticket I don't need this), and free medicine prescriptions (I don't take drugs).  The only real advantage is that the gas board have put me onto their Frail & Vulnerable List - if I have an emergency I will get preferential treatment!  I don't feel all that frail, but what the hell.

Quite frankly, if I had known how few benefits I get by turning 60, I wouldn't have bothered!

Balloonish reflections on the office ceiling

The early stages of the Great Decorative Effort

Overexcited Triplet attaching balloonish decorations

Dismissive colleague turning her back on the DB-honouring celebrations

Some of the gifts were wholly inappropriate!

A happy DB with a favourite colleague - bare is the back that has no colleague to guard it!
PS  The scarf is Astres et Soleils, by Hermes.