Monday 22 October 2018

Eating cabbage in la Bourboule

This is a sort of addendum to the previous post ....

Apparently I have caused a local supply crisis in la Bourboule.  The whole town has run out of white cabbage.  Today I tried to buy some Brussels Sprout, but was warned off them by the shopkeeper - other customers have been complaining.

They are also out of broccoli, not a stalk to be had.

I may need to leave the town centre and go to one of the various out of town shops.  Mind you, they may have been warned about me.  I can just imagine them hiding all their cruciferous vegetables - it's that crazy foreigner, don't leave your cauliflowers undefended!

Snif.  I am sitting on my bed, thinking longingly of the feasts of days past.  Crunchy, sweet, juicy, delicious cabbage!  I ate it without condiments or spices, just cut into large chunks.  I spent hour upon hour, like a ruminating cow, thoughtfully chewing cabbage leaves, carefully and thoroughly, like a disciple of Fletcher.

I desire no other food at all.  Faced with the dearth of cabbage I am thinking of going on another little fast, just three or four days.  What is the point of eating, after all, when I cannot eat cabbage?

On the table nearby sits a tin full of shortbread, which I have brought as a gift for someone.  In the past I would have had no compunction to raid the tin.  But not any more.  I look at the tin and wish it was full of cabbage.  Shortbread no longer strikes me as food.

The last few days I noticed that my acid reflux has disappeared.  And so have my stomach and intestinal issues.  I am able to smell a little more each day, it seems.  I can sleep at night and breathe through my nose.  So my polyps appear to be shrinking.

The question is, will I have to live exclusively on cabbage for the rest of my life to retain these benefits?

I wouldn't mind all that much, actually.

Ah delicious, scrumptious, delectable cabbage!