Sunday 1 July 2018

Not dead, just busy - 23 June Demo


Life keeps on happening!

Every time I want to do a blog post, something comes up.  Time is awasting, and things have to be achieved!

Last weekend was a good example.  Since one of the members of the Bookclub is too busy to attend during the Summer - up to no good, no doubt! - us remainder members decided to do fun stuff of a bookish nature, just to spite the Busy One.

The plan is, instead of us all reading the same book, as recommended by a member, we each read a book on the same topic, and compare and contrast.  And instead of just meeting at the Club, a good but predictable option, we meet at a venue that relates to the chosen topic.

This time it was the Dickens Museum, and we discussed Dickens novels.  It was a warm day, and we sat in the courtyard restaurant of the museum afterwards, drinking tea and talking knowledgeably.  A good morning!

One happy Triplet!



After that my fellow clubbers went off to indulge in the sort of weakling dissolutions (as in debauched living) that is so characteristics of the young of the species, while I wandered off  direction Pall Mall.

Not, as you might suspect, to put up my feet at the Club terrace and sustain myself with Pimms.  No, that came later.  First I had important political business to attend - to wit, the Anti-Brexit Demo!

It was my first demo and I was terribly excited.  It was great fun!  There were about 100,000 people, and usually that would have induced massive claustrophobia in me.  But there is something rather nice about being surrounded by 100,000 people who agree with me about something!

I had all sorts of lovely conversations with my fellow marchers, helped carry a protest sign, and joined in with the booing when we passed Downing Street on our way to Parliament Square.  I would have hissed every time the Conservatives were mentioned, like everyone else, but was a little dehydrated at that stage and kept my mouth shut.

Parliament Square was simply heaving with people, we stood within inches of one another.  There were truck loads of police, ambulances, porta-potties, the lot.  It was all very good-natured, though - clearly potential disrupters constrained themselves, so as not to scandalise all the little old ladies and tiny children who had turned up for the event.

After 3 hours the march and speeches, which latter were accompanied with more booing and hissing when certain individuals were mentioned, the demo was at an end and we all went our separate ways.

I went to the Club and ordered two glasses of water and a Coca Cola, I was that thirsty.

It was a great experience, and I shall certainly tell my non-existent grandchildren all about it when I next don't see them!

Marching on Parliament Square!





Parliament Square



Big Ben is being repaired








Back towards Trafalgar Square after the Demo has ended

Weak little women that need protection?  

That horse almost bit a tourist, but desisted despite my egging it on, darn!