Sunday 22 May 2016

Paris Jardin des Plantes


I had a lovely time in Paris this weekend, visiting the Jardin des Plantes, then mosying over to the rue Mouffetard (Muffensausen in German) for a spot of shopping.  When that palled we went to the Musee Monde Arabee, to the rooftop terrace for a drink and a bit if a rest.

We had nice weather, too!



There are lots of museums and institute in this area, but I refuse to spend time inside on a lovely day like this!










 See this bench with a plaque?  The Jardin des Plantes was the first park in France that sold spaces for people to memorialise their loved ones.  I used this information in my negotiations with the mayor of la Bourboule, when I wanted to buy my own plaque bench.  Plaques on benches are common in the US and Britain, but in France it is something of a rarity.  I noticed that the plaques are rather tiny and tasteful, as compared to mine, which is huge and brassy.

Not my fault - the la Bourboule Park & Recreation department had bought and installed a plaque about ten times the size of the one you see here.  It had to be replaced because it was too flimsy for my taste, but since I had to utilise the existing fixation holes I ended up with a 'dentist style' plaque on my bench.  Hey, I am not complaining- it is so huge it can be seen from every part in town, especially when freshly polished, which I do whenever I am on holiday there.


See that little brown rectangle on the front of the seat, left hand side?  That's the plaque ...

Lots of frogs in the park - they are half green and half brown!!!!!


Lots of statues, too



And on to the Rue Mouffetard ...










Outside a school entrance

This was rather far away, so excuse the fuzzy photo - kind of neat though, no?

NotreDame in the background