Tuesday 26 April 2016

Celebrating the 26th of April - Coffee at the Royal Exchange

Wellington guarding the Bank of England and the Royal Exchange

As today was a workday, celebrations had to be somewhat muted.  However, I celebrated the day nevertheless, first by having my favourite breakfast at the Holborn Dining Room (Eggs Benedict, no less), and later by squeezing in a rendezvous with a friend at lunch time.  We met at the Royal Exchange for coffee and a natter, and walked around the area a bit, gossiping and shopping (Ladure opened an outlet just opposite!).

Since I have worked around there for eleven years, I know the area quite well.  We were lucky in our timing, the sun came out and I - finally! - managed to get some good photos, with a blue sky and all.  It didn't last, though!

Back at the office of course I had to work, but I lightened the load by eating any number of 'bonding beans', a special sort of jelly beans specifically designed for offices - have you heard about them?  I have copied the label pasted on their bean-keg for you, in case you haven't:

Bucky McBeenze’
Original
Bonding Beans 
specially designed
to
foster group cohesion
&
develop team spirit 
Made by the Bucky McBeenze Company in Groovesville, Ohio
since 1879
Company motto: “Buck Up, Says Bucky!” 
 The idea is to gather around the bean-crock periodically with one’s colleagues, chose a bean or two, and start a little conversation about the relative merits of each bean, comparing them by taste, texture, and appearance, thereby forming tasteful bonds with new colleagues.  The beans also provide an opportunity to discover one’s colleague’s’ character, by observing the number and type of beans they chose.

I admit I ate them all by myself, with no noticeable effort to bond, on this occasion!

My afternoon was further brightened by the winter-wonderland outside my window - yes, folks, it snowed!  Big serious flakes, intent on killing spring bulbs and turning central London into a whitish waste.  'Course they didn't succeed, it is almost May, for goodness sake!

After work I explored new travel opportunities - I am contemplating using a different bus stop, to maximise my chances of getting my favourite seat - and finally returned home, happy, cold, and full of plans for the future.

So pip pip and tally ho, and a very happy 26th of April to you!!!!


The Royal Exchange

The Bank of England

One of my heroes




London in all its messy glory