Thursday 30 July 2015

Celebrating International I Love Broccoli Day!!!!

Broccoli and Three Cheese Souffle

This year's celebratory dish for International I Love Broccoli Day is Broccoli and Three Cheese Souffle.  I made a test version last Sunday, to make sure that it will turn out right on Saturday, when I will celebrate properly.  Tomorrow I am unfortunately first at work and then having dinner with a friend, so can't celebrate in style and on the right date.  Of course we shall toast Brocoli Le Grand in the course of the evening tomorrow - between the starter and main course, probably.

I never made souffle before, so this was a bit of a culinary adventure for me.  I used a Delia Smith recipe, a quick google will lead you to her website and recipe.  I followed instructions carefully, except that I used cream instead of milk for a richer taste.

As you can see, it turned out very well!  My souffle dish was a little large, so the souffle didn't rise above the rim of the dish, but frankly I don't mind - I'd hate for it to overspill and make a mess of my oven.  I buttered the dish and dusted it with grated cheese, which is a new one for me - usually I use flour or breadcrumbs.

I ate the souffle with a mixed salad, and, I hate to admit this, the salad was better than the souffle!  The souffle tasted boring. Insipid.  I don't think I will make it again, but seeing as I bought this souffle dish for the occasion (£0.48 at the Animal Sanctuary Shop) I might use it to make a different type of souffle - perhaps a chocolate one?  Apparently broccoli and chocolate go well together, provided it is dark chocolate ....

So I think for Saturday's celebratory feast I shall prepare a few other broccoli-ish dishes, including some plain boiled spears with olive oil and a bit of grated nutmeg - still my favourite preparation!

Happy International I love Broccoli Day!!!!

Ingredients

Buttered dish dusted with grated Parmesan cheese

The broccoli mess inside its dish

Risen to the top!

Nice fluffy texture

Served with mixed salad