Saturday 8 February 2014

Miscellaneous Musings

What I missed


Today is a Free Day, so to speak.  I was supposed to go to Paris, but decided to cancel because of the atrocious weather – who knows whether I would be able to come back in time for work next Monday?  And anyway I need to be here to rescue my scarf collection if my house blows down.  So I am having a day at home.  I don’t have to meet anyone or do any chores or shop – after all I am not supposed to be here at all!

Of course I could have improvised and just Up & Done Something, but I remembered the fun that eluded me during the recent power cut and decided to have that fun now.  So I went to the shops for a newspaper (quite hefty, it being Saturday), and bought not one but TWO!!! croissants (I ran out of coins but a nice fellow customer gifted me 38 pence and restored my faith in humanity), made a largish pot of coffee, and settled down for a morning of inactivity.  And the radio stayed silent!

Marvellous amazing wonderful!  I should do this more often.  But there is always so much to do.  Well today the world had to get on without me, I did what Pascal suggested – just stayed at home and looked out of the window!  Except when I looked out of the window I saw all the jobs that needed doing in the garden, and the fact that the windows need cleaning badly, so I averted my eyes and looked elsewhere.  I spent the day reading and sleeping and musing about this that and the other, and indulged myself by composing these musings.

Normally I try to honour my readers by writing carefully penned little missives, not the slap-dash hit & run stuff found on so many other blogs.  But today is an exception, and I wrote about everything and anything that came to mind.  You have been warned!

What is just down the street


Come on Baby Light my Fire!  I thought of that song when I passed the fireplace in the Parlour this morning.  It still contains the remnants of a fire from over a week ago.  Cleaning up after a fire is hard work, and no fun whatsoever.  And before you can have another fire you have to clean up the mess from the previous one!  If you just build a new fire on the debris left over from the old one you are asking for trouble, and the fire will never burn very well, if at all.  You’ll get a quick flash in the pan and then it’s just dieing ambers.  I wish people thought of that before they started new relationships.  Instead they hook up with someone new before they have emotionally finished with their previous flame, and more often than not punish the new love for the sufferings that were inflicted by the previous one, leaving the new one to think, What did I do wrong?  You didn’t do anything wrong, the previous one did, and you just got punished for someone else’s misdeeds.  Let the ambers die, clean out the grate real good, and then light the fire!

Ain sakhri lovers figurine


Female Genital Mutilation.  Kudos to The Guardian for having taken this cause up big-time.  It is one of those topics that make me alternatively incandescent with rage and deadly depressed – what sick perverted mind could dream up such an utterly horrible practice?  And lest one thinks this is a male-oppressing-female issue, the ‘cutters’ are mainly old women doing it to the female children.  ‘Well, we have to make a living’, one of them told The Guardian.  Murderers and thieves might make the same claim!  And does anyone honestly think that a young man wants to have a wife who shrinks away in fear of pain every time he eyes her amorously, and has a massively increased chance of childbirth complications and other health issues?  But the young men aren’t asked whether they want to marry a healthy or a mutilated woman, any more than the girls whether they want to be cut.  This isn’t men against women, this is an establishment trying to control their young folk (boys are cut, too, though it is nowhere near as mutilating).  Apparently in France they managed to make serious inroads into this crime by checking all girls periodically and hauling their parents to court if they are found to have been mutilated.  I hope the petition launched by that amazing 17 year old young woman Fahma Mohamed will achieve the same result in the UK.   

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/52740

My Amazing Perfume-Fish.  I recently discovered to my great sorrow that I am allergic to my favourite winter perfume, Ambre Narguile.  If I use it more than a few times on the same spot my skin goes all red and pimply.  It is probably the cinnamon in it – it smells like hot apple pie with cinnamon, and is the most comforting smell imaginable (also it goes well with Sunday roast dinner!).  What’s a woman to do?  I tried spraying it on to my clothes, rather than myself, but it doesn’t do the clothes any good …  I thought long and hard, and decided to put the perfume onto a bit of cotton wool, cunningly concealed inside a golden locket, which I would wear around my neck.  Unfortunately most lockets have solid sides, so no scent could escape from them.  What I needed was a locket with one solid side to rest against my body and shield it from the - to me - toxic perfume fumes, and one perforated side to face the world and let the scent escape.  Would you believe I went to every likely shop in town and couldn’t find what I was looking for?  Ebay it was!  Still no luck, until I found a little hollow goldfish.  I am awaiting its arrival any day now!  The plan is to stuff its capacious belly with cotton wool, dribble a bit of perfume onto it, and then add it to the array of golden necklaces that adorn my upper torso.  When the fish is warmed up by my body heat, the perfume will vaporise and escape from its mouth - I really hope this works!  


This is quite tiny in real life!


Talk text browse, the moment you arrive!  That’s what it says on my Eurostar ticket.  Are they insane or something?  Do they think I am going all the way to Paris to talk text and browse?  I have friends to meet, sights to see, scarves to buy, coffee to drink!  I send a quick text when I am safely on the train, if that, and after that you’ll see me when you see me.  I still remember when I finally caved in seven years ago and rented a mobile telephone everyone predicted I would wonder how I ever lived without one within weeks.  Well it didn’t happen.  I went from a regular contract to pay-as-you go as soon as my contract ran out, and lost three telephone numbers because I use my mobile telephone so little (they take your number off you if you don’t use it for three months!).  For me a mobile telephone is for emergencies, and frankly I don’t have all that many.  At first I told a few people about the mobile telephone, and they tried to call and left messages and texts, and then got quite cross because there was no reply.  ‘Well I haven’t been in France for a while,’ I told them.  ‘What’s that got to do with anything?’ they said.  ‘I only use my mobile telephone to send texts to friends in Paris telling them that I am safely on the train – what else do I need it for?’  Now I tell everyone I don’t have a mobile telephone, it fits in with their notion of me as being quaintly old-fashioned and saves me having to check the damn thing all the time.  Yes, I am still using the same one I bought seven years ago!  Just e-mail me, OK?

Gare du Nord


The Television Harassment Brigade.  Yup, they are at it again.  Many years ago, when I had just moved into my little house, the letters started to come.  Why wasn’t I paying my TV Licence?  I wrote to them politely telling them that I did not have a television set, and thought it was the end of the matter.  It was no such thing!  I kept getting increasingly threatening letters, to which I replied with increasing asperity.  Finally they gave up.  But since then every other year or so they start again.  First their letters suggest that I had just forgotten to pay my licence fee.  Then they ask that I write to them and explain myself.  They threaten to visit me and inspect the house for concealed television receivers (actually they’d need a search warrant to do that).  Right now they are threatening me with court action.  After my initial bout with them, when I wrote them half a dozen letters, I found out that I am under no obligation to communicate with them.  They have to prove that I watch television, and since they can’t do that (partly because their much quoted detector vans don’t actually work, partly because I don’t watch television) I have nothing to fear.  But it is still extremely irritating to be suspected of being a television watcher - I mean, of all the insults!


Well, I have managed to waste the day pleasantly!  It is amazing how long you can string out a single newspaper if you put your mind to it, and take regular breaks for tea and Facebook check-ups …

Ahhhhhhh.......