Sunday 22 April 2012

Out and about in Oxford – some local art


Every now and then I like to cater for the tastes of my artistically inclined Friends & Relations, and such is the case today.  Yesterday I had breakfast & newspapers in Headington, just up the Hill from the centre of Oxford where I live.  Since there was a short break in the torrential downpours we have been having I had a little wander around the area.  Usually on these occasions I see something nice and worthy of a photograph, only to discover that I forgot my little camera yet again.  But this time it was still lurking in my bag from my recent epic trip, so I was able to take a few photos.


The Headington Shark is quite a landmark in Oxford.  I remember some 25 years ago when it had first come on to my radar.  The artist had been refused planning permission to put it up, I forgot where, and the students of my college passed a motion that the shark be acquired by that institution and stuck into the ‘Bridge of Sighs’ – a badly chosen nickname, in my opinion, since it looks more like the Rialto Bridge than the real Bridge of Sighs, although it is possible (though highly unlikely) that the name was chosen because exam candidates were herded across it before having to take exams or some such thing.  However that may be, the bridge is the most photographed object of Oxford, and governing body refused point-blank to even consider sticking the shark into it.




Apparently there were many similar, equally surreal suggestions, from other quarters regarding a suitable location for the artistic shark, all vetoed by outraged grown-ups or the city council.  Eventually the shark found its current resting place in Headington, in the roof of the home of a local radio celebrity.  Occasionally one hears rumours of indignant neighbours or officious building inspectors, but the shark is now a permanent fixture in the area and is probably safer than his flesh & blood relatives in the watery wastes.  Over the years I have become quite attached to it, and it never fails to cheer me up when it comes into view.

During a walk today with my friend Z we came across another local piece of art, less impressive to be sure but quite striking and pleasant to encounter during a Sunday afternoon.