Sunday 11 October 2015

Quince Jelly

Quinces ready to process

You will remember that I recently 'harvested' my quinces, and I have been busy with transmogrifying them into various delicious dishes.  Today I made quince jelly, mainly because a friend - who I had given some quinces - claimed that they didn't 'set'.  My quinces not setting?

I decided to make quince jelly myself and see what happened.  It went well, as usual, and as you can see in the last photos, the set is excellent!

I prefer to make quince jam, since making jelly results in a lot of left over pulp.  Of course one could use it to make quince-cheese (Membrillo), but I think it is nicer to use fresh quinces for that, rather than the exhausted pulp from quince jelly.  I have to say, the jelly has a lovely colour!

They are hard, so you need a sharp knife!


Cover with water and cook until soft


Let pulp drip through muslin into a bowl

Put the dripped juice into a pot, add a pound of sugar for each pint of liquid, and boil for 20 minutes or so.

Prepare jars and drip dry

Decant still liquid jelly into jars

Admire the colour of finished jelly

And make the 'set' test!

Has this jelly set or what?